Family joyous after Mandela is discharged
The former South African president Nelson Mandela was discharged from hospital yesterday after receiving treatment for an acute respiratory infection.
Officials said that the 92-year-old had joked with his wife and nurses, and was handling the "difficulties of old age with the greatest of grace".
Vejaynand Ramlakan, the country's Surgeon-General, said the former leader would receive further care at home after his 48-hour stay at Johannesburg's Milpark Hospital. He added that Mr Mandela was in a stable condition and had not been on a respirator.
"It comes to us this afternoon with great joy to hear that he's been discharged," Mr Mandela's grandson, Mandla Mandela, told reporters.
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Salary Package - £60K to £120K: Austen Lloyd: We have an exciting op...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer - Urgent Requirem...
£70000 - £95000 per annum + Bonus, flexible working hours, remote work: Progre...
£50000 - £56000 per annum + Benefits package, flexible working hours: Progress...