Free press: Journalists released from 'hostage hotel'
After almost a week of being held captive by Gaddafi loyalists, a group of international correspondents was freed from the Rixos Hotel yesterday evening.
"Rixos crisis ends. All journalists are out!" tweeted Matthew Chance, a correspondent with CNN, after days of increasingly despondent messages as the battle drew closer to the formerly lavish hotel while food and water ran out.
But unexpectedly yesterday, the group was evacuated after their guards were disarmed. Arriving a short while later at another Tripoli hotel, they hugged friends, exhausted and in tears. The BBC's Matthew Price said they had feared for their lives at times.
On leaving what was one of the last Gaddafi strongholds, he wrote: "We drove out of the hotel compound into a completely different city than the one we had seen seven days earlier."
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
£16000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for individual...
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Project Coordinator is requir...
£40000 - £95000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Vehicle Inspectors / Pu...