Kenyan aristocrat jailed for 8 months
Thursday 14 May 2009
A court has sentenced a descendant of Kenya's most famous white settlers to eight months in prison for the manslaughter of a black man on his vast estate.
The case has inflamed old tensions over land, race and privilege in the east African nation.
Thomas Cholmondeley was convicted of manslaughter last week over the 2006 shooting of a 37-year-old black poacher. Manslaughter carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment in Kenya.
The killing of Robert Njoya was the second time in just over a year that Cholmondeley had fatally shot a black man.
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + 30 days holiday: Ashdown Group: Finance Manager - ...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: 3rd Line Support Engineer / Network ...
£26000 - £33000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Web Developer is required to ...