Mubarak's intelligence chief stands for president
Monday 09 April 2012
Hosni Mubarak's former intelligence chief formally joined the race for Egypt's presidency yesterday, a last-minute entrant who raises the heat in a contest pitting former regime figures against newly assertive Islamists.
Omar Suleiman announced he planned to run on Friday, saying overwhelming public pressure had stirred his sense of soldierly duty. He had needed to collect the signatures of 30,000 eligible voters by yesterday's deadline to take part. Ecstatic supporters cheered behind lines of military police as Mr Suleiman, pictured, arrived at the office of the state election committee in Cairo to hand in his papers to run for office.
Mr Suleiman, who Mubarak made vice-president in the dying days of his rule, symbolises that era's tough security regime, making him a figure of hate to the young liberals who spearheaded Mubarak's overthrow last year.
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...