Nigeria schoolgirls kidnap: President Goodluck Jonathan to meet families of those abducted by Boko Haram
Emily Dugan is Social Affairs Editor for The Independent, i and Independent on Sunday. She was previously a news reporter for The Independent on Sunday. Her investigations into human trafficking have twice been awarded Best Investigative Article at the Anti-Slavery Day Media Awards and her human rights journalism was shortlisted for the Gaby Rado Memorial prize at the 2012 Amnesty Media Awards. Her first book, 'Finding Home: Real Stories of Migrant Britain', was published by Icon Books in July 2015.
Thursday 15 May 2014
Families of some of the missing schoolgirls in north-east Nigeria are preparing to meet the country’s President today, more than a month after their children were abducted.
President Goodluck Jonathan is expected to make an official visit to the village of Chibok today after mounting political pressure to show his face in the place where the extremist group Boko Haram seized hundreds of girls last month.
Mr Jonathan has been pilloried for his failure to appear in Borno state since the first group of girls were seized on 14 April. His critics argue the prolonged absence shows he does not care about the remote communities affected. As international attention on the plight of the abducted girls has risen, so too has pressure on the President to make a public show that he is bothered by their disappearance and is doing something about it.
Mr Jonathan asked France to arrange a Paris security summit last week with neighbours Chad, Cameroon, Niger and Benin, and officials from America, Britain and the EU to discuss a co-ordinated response. He is expected to fly to Paris shortly after today’s visit in Chibok.
The Nigerian government’s handling of the threat from Boko Haram has also come under international criticism. A senior US Defence Department official hit out at the nation’s failure to deal with the Islamic extremist group. Alice Friend, the Pentagon’s principal director for African affairs, said: “In general Nigeria has failed to mount an effective campaign against Boko Haram.” She added that Washington had been “deeply concerned” for some time by how much the Nigerian government had “struggled to keep pace with Boko Haram’s growing capabilities”.
Ms Friend said it was more troubling that Nigerian security forces were committing atrocities during operations against the group, which means American human rights law would bar providing any assistance.
- 1 Windows 10: man updates PC, wakes up to find porn slideshow on repeat
- 2 The 'world's most beautiful vagina' has been debunked by science
- 3 John Green schools morning show hosts after awkward interview with Cara Delevingne
- 4 Bulletproof armadillo puts Texas man in hospital after shot bounces off hard shell
- 5 Doctors declare war on Jeremy Hunt over weekend working 'myths' amid plan for seven day NHS
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality
£17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are a leading company in the field ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£26041 - £34876 per annum: Recruitment Genius: There has never been a more exc...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...