Paternity dispute erupts in Madonna adoption case
Monday 04 May 2009
As Malawi's highest court prepares to decide on Madonna's bid to adopt a three-year-old girl, a dispute has erupted over whether a man trying to stop the proceedings is the child's father.
The Malawi Supreme Court of Appeal hears the case Monday. A lower court ruled last month that Madonna could not adopt Chifundo "Mercy" James because of requirements that prospective parents be screened in Malawi. The rules were bent when Madonna adopted a son from Malawi last year.
James Kambewa has sought help from the Malawi Law Society to stop the adoption of the girl, who has been in an orphanage since birth.
The brother of the girl's mother, who died shortly after giving birth, told the AP the family does not know Kambewa. Peter Baneti calls Kambewa "an opportunist."
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...