Hosni Mubarak's trial on charges of ordering the killing of protesters will be held at a police academy on the outskirts of Cairo instead of a convention centre in the heart of the capital, the head of the appeals court said yesterday.
The change appears to be linked to concerns over security during the ousted president's trial, which is due to begin on Wednesday.
Mr Mubarak, 83, will stand trial with his security chief and six other senior security officials. Hundreds of protesters died in a crackdown that failed to stop Mr Mubarak being forced from power on 11 February.
Assistant Justice Minister Mohammed Munie told the state-run Mena news agency that the trial will be held in an auditorium that can hold up to 600 people. He said a cage for the defendants had already been prepared. Only state television will be allowed to have cameras inside the hall.Reuse content