Sick leader 'loses power' in Nigeria
Wednesday 10 February 2010
Nigeria's parliament recognised Vice President Goodluck Jonathan as acting head of state yesterday, more than two months after its ailing President, Umaru Yar'Adua, was admitted to hospital in Saudi Arabia with a heart condition.
The move takes Nigeria into uncharted political territory and does not end the uncertainty over who rules the nation.
Motions backed by both chambers enabled Mr Jonathan to pass legislation and act as commander of the armed forces until Mr Yar'Adua can resume his duties. But the constitution makes no provision for parliament to take such a step, saying the President must make a written declaration before such a transfer of powers can take place.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
musicPolice chief rejects rappers' claims that his work is as dangerous as law enforcement or military service
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
healthJames Bond's alcohol consumption puts him at 'high risk' of cirrhosis, tremors... and impotence
Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
North Korea: First Kim Jong-un orders execution of uncle - now it emerges that victim's wife was involved in decision to execute him
Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
Woman who miscarried in private prison 'made to clean up after herself,' court told
Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- 1 Italian court annuls prison sentence for elderly paedophile after 11-year-old victim tells investigators in Catanzaro that she loves him
- 2 Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 3 Woman who miscarried in private prison 'made to clean up after herself,' court told
- 4 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- < Previous
- Next >
£38000 - £50000 per annum + Excellent Benefits & Bonus: Pro-Recruitment Group:...
£400 - £450 per day: PCR Recruitment Limited: E-commerce Business Analyst Or B...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading prov...
£47999 - £58001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top Tier practi...