£110m cocaine ship caught in the Caribbean
Monday 01 August 2011
A boat carrying $180m (£110m) of cocaine has been caught by US coastguards in the Caribbean.
A cutter found the semi-submersible craft off the coast of Honduras near the Nicaraguan border after it was seen by a spotter plane.
It sank, but was found after several searches by the Coast Guard, FBI dive teams and the Honduran Navy. An FBI dive team found nearly 7.5 tons of cocaine.
Similar boats regularly smuggle drugs along Central America's Pacific Coast, although US and Honduran authorities said this was the first time such a vessel was intercepted in Caribbean waters.
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...