A woman has been arrested after allegedly claiming to have suffered an injury from the Boston bombings in order to fraudulently collect almost half a million dollars.
Audrea Gause, 26, was charged with larceny by Police in Massachusetts after appearing in a New York Court for a fugitive warrant hearing on Friday afternoon, according to CNN.
Ms Gause, of Troy, New York, is believed to have received over $480,000 from the One Fund Boston after submitting a claim alleging that she had sustained a brain injury.
The fund was established by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick to assist victims of the bombings that took place at the Boston Marathon and their families. More than $60 million was raised, before distribution began on 30 July.
The attack, which occurred on 15 April, left three dead and more than 260 wounded.
Ms Gause reportedly used false medical documents to indicate she had been treated for these injuries at a Boston medical centre and a New York medical centre, according to CNN news. Massachusetts Police were alerted following a tip off from the office of the State Attorney General and the One Fund.
A statement released by the Attorney General Martha Coakley said an investigation had determined that Ms Gause had not been treated at either hospital at the times she had recorded on her claim form.
"She was stealing money from the real victims of the Marathon bombing, and from the people who gave so generously to help them," Ms Coakley said on Friday.
Gause was being held without bail in the Rensselaer County Jail. Her next hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.Reuse content