Budget deadlock shuts Minnesota
Saturday 02 July 2011
Minnesota shut down its state government yesterday amid a budget showdown between the governor and lawmakers, leaving state parks closed at the start of the US Independence Day holiday weekend, halting road projects and forcing thousands of state worker layoffs.
The state's Republican and Democratic parties each say the other side is responsible. Democrat Governor Mark Dayton wants to increase taxes.
- 1 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Tunisian builder has been hailed a hero after knocking gunman to the ground with roof tiles
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
Greece debt crisis: Athens has one day to find €1.6bn
German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
£15000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: First things first - for the av...
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Compliance Manager is require...
£15500 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This international company deve...
£16000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established name in IT Ser...