Convention Diary: A democratic mÃªlÃ©e around the C-list celebrities
Wednesday 28 July 2004
* Amid the seething humanity there is barely room to move. Delegates squeeze through while the media chases C-list celebrities. In a mêlée your diarist found himself face to face with the talk-show host Jerry Springer, the one-time mayor of Cincinnati now considering a 2006 run as senator for Ohio. Before Mr Springer had time for his usual tricks - revealing one's brother was really one's sister and was having an affair with a cousin, or whatever - he was gone in an explosion of camera flashes.
* It's hard work this celebrity spotting. Sometimes it becomes surreal. Look! There's Toby Ziegler, the Democrat communications director. Sort of. It was actually Richard Schiff, an actor who plays the fictional Ziegler in The West Wing .
* And where are the Republicans? Thanks to the Boston Globe for pointing out a team of 30 in a "war room" close by. The party chairman, Ed Gillespie, said: "We understand that we're swimming upstream here but we're going to swim anyway."
Apple has been hit by complaints about the 1.1GB download
Much-loved cartoon character returns - without Sir David Jason
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Matt Smith is set to join cast of the Jane Austen classic - with a twist
Actress to appear in second series of the hugely popular crime drama
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Have you heard about the film Singapore has banned its people from watching? Well, you have now
Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
Scottish independence: Final opinion polls show undecided voters could swing result either way
Scottish independence: Almost half of No voters have felt 'personally threatened' by the Yes campaign
Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
£45000 - £55000 Per Annum 31 days holiday, pension, healthcare, annual bonus: ...
£100 - £222 per day: Randstad Education Bristol: We are currently recruiting f...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Birmingham: SEN TA's apply now! West Midlands
£35000 - £45000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...