Convention Diary: A democratic mÃªlÃ©e around the C-list celebrities
Wednesday 28 July 2004
* Amid the seething humanity there is barely room to move. Delegates squeeze through while the media chases C-list celebrities. In a mêlée your diarist found himself face to face with the talk-show host Jerry Springer, the one-time mayor of Cincinnati now considering a 2006 run as senator for Ohio. Before Mr Springer had time for his usual tricks - revealing one's brother was really one's sister and was having an affair with a cousin, or whatever - he was gone in an explosion of camera flashes.
* It's hard work this celebrity spotting. Sometimes it becomes surreal. Look! There's Toby Ziegler, the Democrat communications director. Sort of. It was actually Richard Schiff, an actor who plays the fictional Ziegler in The West Wing .
* And where are the Republicans? Thanks to the Boston Globe for pointing out a team of 30 in a "war room" close by. The party chairman, Ed Gillespie, said: "We understand that we're swimming upstream here but we're going to swim anyway."
Easter egg hunt horror as mother finds dead body under deck of house
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Wreckage could be found within a week as search reaches 'very critical juncture', says minister
Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
Royal Tour 2014: Is the Duchess of Cambridge the only person ever to climb into a fighter jet wearing a dress and high heels?
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 1 Easter egg hunt horror as mother finds dead body under deck of house
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Unbeliebable: The White House offer 'no comment' to anti-Justin Bieber petition
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 How We Met: Alison Moyet & Emma Kennedy: 'I knew we'd be friends because she was happy to make a prat of herself'
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...