Convention Diary: A democratic mÃªlÃ©e around the C-list celebrities
Wednesday 28 July 2004
* Amid the seething humanity there is barely room to move. Delegates squeeze through while the media chases C-list celebrities. In a mêlée your diarist found himself face to face with the talk-show host Jerry Springer, the one-time mayor of Cincinnati now considering a 2006 run as senator for Ohio. Before Mr Springer had time for his usual tricks - revealing one's brother was really one's sister and was having an affair with a cousin, or whatever - he was gone in an explosion of camera flashes.
* It's hard work this celebrity spotting. Sometimes it becomes surreal. Look! There's Toby Ziegler, the Democrat communications director. Sort of. It was actually Richard Schiff, an actor who plays the fictional Ziegler in The West Wing .
* And where are the Republicans? Thanks to the Boston Globe for pointing out a team of 30 in a "war room" close by. The party chairman, Ed Gillespie, said: "We understand that we're swimming upstream here but we're going to swim anyway."
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 5 Medina: Saudis take a bulldozer to Islam's history
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £69999 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Algo-Develo...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
£50000 - £80000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Data Sci...
£350 - £400 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Cent...