Cousin of Washington state teen shooter dies in hospital as number of fatalities climbs to five

Andrew Fryberg died of injuries sustained at Marysville-Pitlchuck High School after his cousin Jaylen opened fire on students in the cafeteria

Click to follow
The Independent US

The cousin of a student who opened fire in a US high school shooting two weeks ago has died in hospital, bringing the total number of fatalities to five.

Teenager Andrew Fryberg died last night at Harbourview Medical Centre in Seattle after being hit by his cousin Jaylen Fryberg in the shooting on 24 October.

The 15-year-old’s death brings the total number of fatalities to five, including the killer, who died from self-sustained injuries during the attack.

Zoe Galasso, 14, was killed during the attack in the cafeteria of Marysville-Pitlchuck High School after Fryberg opened fire with a Beretta handgun before killing himself.

Gia Soriano, 14, and Shaylee Chuckulnaskit, 14, were also injured by the shooter and later died of their wounds in hospital.

Nathan Hatch, another cousin of the shooter who was shot in the jaw during the confrontation, was released from hospital and returned home on Thursday. He posted a tribute to his “brother” Andrew Fryberg earlier today expressing his love and sorrow for the event on Twitter.

In a statement released by the Seattle hospital, the Fryberg family said: “We express our thanks for the amazing support from the community, as well as from everyone around the world that have been praying for us all through this tragic event".

The family also articulated their gratitude to “all the amazing staff” who cared for their “son and brother” whilst he was in hospital.

The Fryberg family are reported to be a prominent Tulalip Indian Reserve family. Prior to the attack the killer was described as a popular, outgoing teen who was named school the ‘Prince’ at the school Homecoming court only a week before the killings.

Reuters reported that he had been left distraught over a girl, according to fellow students, and in messages leading up to the tragedy it appeared he had been “broken” by an unspecified event.

In a statement last night reported by the New York Daily News the Tulalip Tribes said they and Marysville "will be forever changed as a result of the senseless and tragic incident that took place on the morning of Oct. 24 and know that healing will not happen overnight. We remain committed to taking this journey together, step by step, holding up the families most impacted and helping our communities heal."