Democratic Convention Diary
Wednesday 27 August 2008
* The competing cable news channels have gone further than ever in trying to make their mark. CNN and Fox News have taken over two local bars and utterly transformed them. The CNN Grill is especially impressive. The inside of what until last week was "Brooklyn's" has been repainted in deep CNN red and one outside wall is decorated with a giant neon star that, we are told, took six weeks to build and weighs 2,000lb. Why all the effort and money? (Did we mention the open bar?)
"Political conventions are like the Olympics for us," said Scot Safon, CNN's worldwide chief marketing officer. This political team is not complaining.
* There is understandable anxiety about Bill Clinton's speech tonight. Humorist Andy Borowitz reports that officials have found a way to protect against disaster: a five-second delay on the broadcasting of Bill's speech, in case they have to cut in and interrupt. "We hope and expect Bill Clinton will give a stirring and perfectly acceptable speech," Democratic chairman Howard Dean tells Borowitz. (Not really.) "However, if we see his face turning red and his forehead starting to throb, we'll be there to pull the plug."
* Everyone in Denver expects at some time to see a celebrity or three, whether it be Ben Affleck or Bruce Springsteen. One British colleague did a double-take after spotting Eva Longoria disappearing around the corner of his hotel corridor. She was not, apparently, looking for his room.
For rolling comment on the US election visit: independent.co.uk/campaign08
- 4 Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
Boston Marathon runner's search for mystery man she kissed ends with letter from his wife
Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
Mysterious 'X-Files' sounds heard miles above the Earth
Met Gala 2015: Beyoncé manages to out-skimp Rihanna, Miley and Kim Kardashian with near-naked ensemble
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Helpdesk Analyst - Devon - £20,000 ...
£35000 - £50000 per annum + generous bonus: Ashdown Group: Business Analytics ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Project Coordinator (Software Dev...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...