Democratic Convention Diary
Wednesday 27 August 2008
* The competing cable news channels have gone further than ever in trying to make their mark. CNN and Fox News have taken over two local bars and utterly transformed them. The CNN Grill is especially impressive. The inside of what until last week was "Brooklyn's" has been repainted in deep CNN red and one outside wall is decorated with a giant neon star that, we are told, took six weeks to build and weighs 2,000lb. Why all the effort and money? (Did we mention the open bar?)
"Political conventions are like the Olympics for us," said Scot Safon, CNN's worldwide chief marketing officer. This political team is not complaining.
* There is understandable anxiety about Bill Clinton's speech tonight. Humorist Andy Borowitz reports that officials have found a way to protect against disaster: a five-second delay on the broadcasting of Bill's speech, in case they have to cut in and interrupt. "We hope and expect Bill Clinton will give a stirring and perfectly acceptable speech," Democratic chairman Howard Dean tells Borowitz. (Not really.) "However, if we see his face turning red and his forehead starting to throb, we'll be there to pull the plug."
* Everyone in Denver expects at some time to see a celebrity or three, whether it be Ben Affleck or Bruce Springsteen. One British colleague did a double-take after spotting Eva Longoria disappearing around the corner of his hotel corridor. She was not, apparently, looking for his room.
For rolling comment on the US election visit: independent.co.uk/campaign08
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
£40000 - £50000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: SQL Impl...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: SQL Technical ...
£85000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Head of IT (Windows, Server, VMware, SAN, ...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Lead C# Develo...