Farm fire kills seven children in US
Wednesday 09 March 2011
A farmhouse fire in the US killed seven children while their mother was in a barn milking cows and their father was taking a nap in a delivery truck.
The children were aged from seven months to 11 years. One other survived.
The children's father had left the two-storey home, on a working farm in Pennsylvania's dairy country, to get his truck around 10pm. Two children, aged two and three, were watching television at the time.
The father drove a short distance away to pick up milk and parked the truck about a mile from home. Then he nodded off.
Soon after, one of the children smelled smoke in the home and ran to the barn to alert the mother.
She called the emergency services then ran with the child to the father's truck and banged on its windows, screaming that their home was on fire.
By the time the father returned to the home in Blain, about 20 miles north of Harrisburg, it was fully engulfed by flames.
Firefighters were investigating the cause of the blaze today.
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
Rupert Murdoch berated Sun journalists for not doing enough to attack Ed Miliband and stop him winning the general election
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£22000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is part of a Group...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a a young, dynamic pers...
Voluntary: Cancer Research UK: We’re looking for someone to support our award ...