Gunman holds four firefighters in Atlanta
Thursday 11 April 2013
A gunman who barricaded himself inside an Atlanta home was last night holding four firefighters hostage.
Five firefighters responding to a 911 call were taken hostage by an unidentified suspect inside the house, Gwinnett County Police Cpl Edwin Ritter said. The gunman released one firefighter to move a fire truck.
A motive for the gunman's action is unclear, even though a police negotiator did manage to make contact with him.
There was no indication that any of the firefighters had been hurt, said fire department Capt Tommy Rutledge. He said the 911 call had seemed routine and his firefighters had not believed they were in any danger.
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Analyst is required ...
£16000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To succeed, you will need to ha...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join an award winni...
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...