'I don't have broadband at home,' admits Apple founder Steve Wozniak
One of Silicon Valley's elder statesmen, Steve Wozniak owes his considerable fame and fortune to a work life spent exploring the cutting edge of 21st-century technology. But in his domestic life, things couldn't be more different.
In an admission that has sparked soul searching in the egg-headed circles, Apple's co-founder has admitted he has yet to enjoy high-speed internet access at home. "I don't have broadband at my home," he is said to have declared. "I, Steve Wozniak, don't have broadband at my home." At fault is a situation familiar to as many as 100 million residents of the US, where the communications infrastructure in many regions is controlled by privatised monopolies.
Despite living within a mile of Los Gatos, California, one of the most hi-tech cities in America, Mr Wozniak explained: "Broadband is a monopoly in my town – that means you can get it from a cable company, but I don't have cable."
The revelation came at a conference on internet connectivity in Australia last week.
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...