'I want to dig a deep hole and bury myself again': Chilean miners stunned by decision not to prosecute over accident
The decision that no one will face charges over the mining accident in Chile that left 33 men underground for 69 days has left many speechless
Friday 02 August 2013
Related articles
No one will be charged over the mining accident that trapped 33 Chilean workers deep underground for more than two months in 2010, while the world watched with baited breath as rescuers worked desperately to bring them back to the surface.
The decision, announced by prosecutors today, prompted a furious reaction from the victims – many of them still traumatised by their ordeal. They were eventually plucked to safety in a metal capsule, one by one, up a narrow 2,300ft shaft at the San José mine in the Atacama desert, 500 miles north of in the capital, Santiago.
“It is impossible that in an accident of this magnitude no one is held responsible,” said Mario Sepulveda, one of the survivors. “Today, I want to dig a deep hole and bury myself again. Only this time, I don’t want anybody to find me.”
In separate comments, he attacked Chile’s “crappy” justice system and told the website Soychile that the former mine owners, Alejandro Bohn and Marcelo Kemeny, were now “wandering around free and happy … despite the fact that they left us buried”.
Another survivor, Esteban Rojas, told the Chilean paper La Tercera: “Sernageomin [Chile’s National Geology and Mining Service] should be found guilty for not investigating as it should have.”
But Hector Mella, chief prosecutor for the Atacama region, said the decision not to charge the pair was unavoidable given that Sernageomin investigators could not reach the scene of the accident to carry out forensic research and establish the precise cause. “The base element, the ‘why’ the cave-in occurs, is not there,” he said.
Mr Mella also dismissed claims from the miners that they heard rumblings, a clear warning sign, before the accident, saying: “I am not in a position to refute or confirm what the miners were saying, that there were signs the deposit was presenting problems.”
The decision comes despite the fact that the mine had faced several safety alerts in the decade prior to the accident, including at least three deaths and one amputation. Union leaders had repeatedly complained about standards at the mine, which nevertheless had no shortage of willing miners due to the relatively high wages it offered.
It also contradicts a 2011 report by Chile’s Congress that found the owners “could have avoided” the collapse of the mine ceiling and accused Sernageomin of failing to enforce its own safety rulings.
The 33 miners were trapped in a small chamber nearly half a mile underground after a cave-in at the 120-year-old gold and copper mine on 5 August 2010. Initially presumed dead, they survived in searing heat for 17 days, eating tiny rations of tinned tuna and sipping sour milk until rescuers using remote listening devices realised they were still alive.
A major international rescue effort was then launched, involving a team of Nasa scientists, nutritionists and psychologists dedicated to keeping the men in good physical and mental health, with several thin shafts drilled to the group, to provide them with fresh air, food, water, medicine and ultra-violet light, while a wider shaft, just big enough to fit the custom-made cage, was finished. The 33 were eventually brought to the surface on 13 October – after 69 days underground – in an operation covered live by the world’s television stations.
After the rescue, the men became global celebrities, invited on all-expenses-paid trips to everything from Disneyworld to Real Madrid’s training camp. But since then, back in Chile, they have struggled to come to terms with their ordeal. Several have had high-profile problems with drink and drugs, and many have struggled to find work, even claiming that potential employers are intimidated by the 33’s unwanted fame and the risk that any problems they now have could attract the media spotlight.
Just about the only people who did appear satisfied with the prosecutors’ decision were the owners of the mine. Their lawyer, Catherine Lathrop, said: “We have always insisted that although the 33 was a regrettable accident, it is just that, an accident.”
Hard times: Miners suffer out of spotlight
For a while, they had the attention and adulation of the world. Each of “Los 33” was handed a free motorcycle by Kawasaki and $15,000 by a local businessman. They enjoyed all-expenses-paid trips to Greece, Israel and Disneyworld. But as the limelight faded, many returned to impoverished lives, and have struggled with psychological and health problems.
“Super” Mario Sepulveda, the charismatic spokesman during their time underground, has toured the world giving motivational lectures and will be played by Antonio Banderas in the forthcoming film The 33.
Most have returned to their humble origins. A year after the 2010 rescue, Samuel Avalos was back selling pirate CDs. Two others, Osman Araya and Dario Segovia, took jobs selling fruit. A few went back down the mines. Others are unemployed. Yonni Barrios, like several others, is dying of an incurable lung disease caused by crystalline silica dust in mines.
After their rescue, the miners decided to pool any money from film rights and book deals and appointed survivor Omar Reygadas as their spokesman. He has toured the world on behalf of the group, though he is still tormented by nightmares.
Eric Randolph
Top stories
More stories
Travel Shop
Four nights from £669pp, seven nights from £999pp or 13 nights from £2,199pp Find out more
-
Apocalyptic images reveal the shocking scale of devastation in Syria
-
David Cameron's Tories are still the 'nasty party', says ex-aide Derek Laud
-
Wilko Johnson: 'You have to live for the minute you're in'
-
EU warrant opt-out 'could free Julian Assange': Campaigners warn of four-month loophole before UK rejoins treaty
-
'An absolutely ridiculous idea': Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales rejects David Cameron's online porn filter plan
- 1 Is the Muslim call to prayer really such a menace?
- 2 Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers who associate Islam with terrorism with live call to prayer during Ramadan
- 3 US army doctor returns arm to Vietnamese soldier fifty years after he took it as a souvenir
- 4 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- 5 Demand for food banks has nothing to do with benefits squeeze, says Work minister Lord Freud
How will you make today delicious?
Tell us how you plan to make today delicious and you could win a £50 M&S gift card.
Win a three-night weekend break for two in Stockholm
Hesperus Press are offering the chance to win a three-night weekend away for two to Stockholm.
Summer food reader survey
Take our grocery shopping survey for your chance to win a £100 M&S store gift card.
See Norway’s spectacular coastline
There is no finer way to discover and explore the dramatic Norwegian coastline than aboard an authentic Hurtigruten cruise.
Where's Wallonia?
War and peace: history revisited in the cities of Southern Belgium - a travel guide in association with the Belgian Tourist Office.
Win first-class inter-rail passes
Win first-class rail passes to explore the sights and sounds of Europe with redspottedhanky.com.
Celebrate the joy of reading with NOOK®
You can buy a NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight at £69, or the NOOK HD 8GB Tablet for just £99 - until 3 September.
Enter the latest Independent competitions
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Business videos from commercial thought leaders
Watch the best in the business world give their insights into the world of business.
Independent Dating
iJobs General
Solar PV - Sales South
£30000 Per Annum Bonus + Car: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Solar ...
Renewable Heating Sales Manager
£25000 Per Annum basic + car + commission: The Green Recruitment Company: The ...
Design Engineer – Solar PV
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Design En...
Associate Director – Offshore Wind Reliability Engineer
Competitive, depending on experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green...
Day In a Page
Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy
DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?
Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday
Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?
Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'
Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes




