Man wins $7m damages in 'popcorn lung' payout
A US jury has awarded a Colorado man $7.2 million (£4.4m) damages after claiming he developed 'popcorn lung' by inhaling a chemical used to flavour microwave popcorn.
The jury in the case were in agreement with Wayne Watson's claim that the manufacturer who produced the popcorn, and the supermarket that sold it, were negligent because they failed to warn consumers that the flavouring was dangerous.
Watson, 59, claimed the butter flavouring, diacetyl, caused a form of obstructive lung disease, a condition that scars the lungs and makes makes it difficult for air to flow out of them.
The condition is irreversible.
The official name of the illness is Bronchiolitis obliterans and it can cause a dry cough, shortness of breath and wheezing.
The lawyers defending the popcorn manufacturer claimed Mr Watson had in fact developed the illness after working for years with carpet cleaning chemicals.
Watson told the court that he developed problems breathing in 2007, after eating the product regularly.
The firms involved are the Gilster-Mary Lee Corp, The Kroger Co and Dillon Companies Inc.
Mr Watson had previously settled claims against the flavour developer FONA International Inc, formerly Flavours of North America Inc.
Watson, who lives in Denver, was diagnosed at a respiratory health centre in 2007, after years of eating the popcorn daily.
Jurors found Gilster-Mary Lee Corp, the manufacturer of the popcorn liable for 80% of the $7,217,961 damages. The King Soopers supermarket chain and its parent company, Kroger, were found liable for the remaining 20%.
The verdict was the latest in a number of cases in the past 15 years, which began with complaints in popcorn plants where diacetyl was an ingredient.
A number of similar cases are thought to be pending in New York and Iowa.
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
Much-loved cartoon character returns - without Sir David Jason
Actress to appear in second series of the hugely popular crime drama
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: What you shouldn't tweet about if you want to avoid jail today
- 3 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 4 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 5 Scottish independence: Andy Murray backs Yes campaign in eleventh hour decision
Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
Scottish independence referendum live: Latest news as Scotland votes Yes or No
Scottish independence: Final opinion polls show undecided voters could swing result either way
Scottish independence: Almost half of No voters have felt 'personally threatened' by the Yes campaign
Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Promising volunteer Trustee op...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...
£110 - £130 per hour: Randstad Education Reading: Psychology Teacher needed fo...
£85 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: Randstad Education are curren...