One of two Baptist missionaries still held on kidnapping charges in Haiti was released and flew to Miami, but the US group's leader remained in custody.
Charisa Coulter, 24, was taken from her jail cell to the airport by US Embassy staff more than a month after she and nine other Americans were arrested for trying to take 33 children out of Haiti after the earthquake.
Ms Coulter, wearing a red tank top and sunglasses, declined comment as she quickly got into an SUV that took her to the Haitian airport, where she caught a flight back to the United States.
Ms Coulter's father said his daughter arrived in Miami late yesterday and went straight to a hotel.
Mel Coulter said her release brings a mix of joy and sorrow knowing that the leader of the Idaho-based missionary group, Laura Silsby, will be spending the night all alone in a Haitian jail.
"It is good news, but it's tempered," Ms Coulter said. "We're really happy to have our daughter back on American soil. But Laura is still there. So this is really only completing part of the journey for the two of them. My daughter has left her best friend behind."
Silsby, 40, said she was glad about Ms Coulter's release.
"I'm very happy that she left today, and for her freedom, and expect mine to come soon," Silsby said as she left the courthouse where a judge held a closed hearing. She was returned to her cell in a police station near Port-au-Prince airport.
Defence lawyer Louis Ricardo Chachoute said Ms Coulter was released because there was no evidence to support the charges of kidnapping and criminal association. He predicted Silsby would be released soon as well.
"There are no prosecution witnesses to substantiate anything," Mr Chachoute said.
Ms Coulter, of Boise, is a diabetic and had medical difficulties during her confinement. She was treated at least once, on February 1, by American doctors after collapsing with what she said was either severe dehydration or the flu.
After a court hearing for Silsby, Judge Bernard Saint-Vil said he heard evidence from a police officer who said he stopped Silsby from loading a bus with children near the Dominican Republic consulate in Port-au-Prince on January 26. That was three days before her group was arrested while trying to cross into the Dominican Republic with 33 children.
"I found inconsistencies in some of Laura's statements," Mr Saint-Vil told reporters, saying he planned to visit the Dominican consulate to resolve them.
The Dominican consul in Haiti, Carlos Castillo, said previously that he warned Silsby she lacked the required papers to leave the country with the children and risked being arrested at the border for child trafficking.
The Americans' arrest came as Haitian authorities were trying to crack down on unauthorised adoptions to prevent child trafficking in the chaos following the catastrophic January 12 earthquake.
Silsby initially said the children were orphaned in the quake that the government said has killed more than 230,000 people.
Mr Chachoute said the Americans only came to Haiti to help the country.
"Firstly, there was no criminal conspiracy; secondly, there was no child snatching," he said.
The Baptist group planned to take the children to the neighbouring Dominican Republic to an orphanage that Silsby was creating in a former hotel.
The judge released eight of the Americans on February 17 after concluding parents voluntarily gave up their children in the belief that the Baptist group would give them a better life. But he decided he still had additional questions for Silsby and Ms Coulter.