Nine-year-old girl survives two days in car wreckage
Wednesday 16 November 2011
Authorities say a nine-year-old US girl pinned in a wrecked car for almost two days ate Pop-Tarts and drank energy drinks to survive the single-car crash that killed her father.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol says Jordan Landon was airlifted to a hospital on Sunday night after rescue teams cut her out of the car that had been upside down in a culvert since Friday night.
Sergeant David Clifton calls the girl "heroic" and that she was able to stay calm despite the dark and cold. He says the girl was talkative and is expected to fully recover.
Clifton said a person walking by saw the car and called 911 late Sunday afternoon.
The patrol says 39-year-old Douglas Landon was killed. Her mother identified him as Jordan's father.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst - (Active Di...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...