One million Americans may have swine flu virus
Saturday 27 June 2009
US health officials estimate that as many as one million Americans may now have the swine flu virus. Lyn Finelli, a flu surveillance official with the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, announced the figure at a vaccine advisory meeting in the city yesterday.
The estimate is based on mathematical modelling. Nearly 28,000 US cases of the virus have been reported to the CDC – some half of all those reported globally.
The US figure includes 3,065 people who have been admitted to hospital, and 127 who have died. But the reported figure is considered to be only a fraction of those who now have the virus. The forecast is also based on the fact that up to 60 million Americans catch seasonal flu each year. CDC statistics also show the young are particularly at risk. The average age of swine flu patients is 12, the average age of those in hospital is 20, and the average of those who have died is 37.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...