Pictures of naked boys were found at Jackson ranch

Click to follow
The Independent US

Two books seized by police from Michael Jackson's bedroom that showed pictures of naked boys have been used in evidence at the singer's trial in California.

Two books seized by police from Michael Jackson's bedroom that showed pictures of naked boys have been used in evidence at the singer's trial in California.

Los Angeles police took them in 1993 during an investigation into abuse allegations made by Jordy Chandler, who was later awarded a multi-million dollar out-of-court settlement.

The first book was called Boys Will Be Boys, and the cover showed fair-haired boys wearing swimming trunks jumping into a pool. It was signed by Jackson himself, and said: "Look at the true spirit of happiness and joy in these boys' faces, this is the spirit of boyhood, a life I've never had and will always dream of. This is the life I want for my children."

Written in small letters on the same page were the words "very scarce," possibly a reference to the book's 1960s vintage. Another notation said that the book was out of print.

The second, The Boy: A Photographic Essay, featured many pictures of boys in various states of undress. It also contained an inscription that said: "To Michael from your (heart symbol) fan, XXXOOO, 'Rhonda'." The note was dated 1983.

The court in Santa Maria, California, was also shown the related search warrant and a picture of the cabinet from which they were taken.

Earlier, the defence had unsuccessfully argued that the books were irrelevant to the current case and would unfairly prejudice the jury. Mr Jackson's lawyer, Robert Sanger, said it was "just plain stale" to introduce such old evidence. "The books were kept in a locked cabinet and there is no evidence that any of the books were shown to any of the people in any of the cases," he said.

Prosecutors said that one book contained about 90 per cent pictures of nude boys and the other, about 10 per cent.

Mr Jackson is accused of molesting 13-year-old Gavin Arvizo in 2003, giving him alcohol and conspiring to hold his family captive to get them to refute the Living With Michael Jackson television documentary hosted by Martin Bashir. In that film Mr Jackson said he allowed children to sleep in his bed, but that it was non-sexual.

Prosecutors have previously introduced dozens of adult magazines featuring adult women as well as a few art books featuring nudes.

The prosecution has only a few more days to run before the defence takes control. Mr Jackson has denied all wrong-doing.

Comments