An investigation into allegations that Argentina’s president and her foreign minister covered-up the role of Iranian officials in the bombing of a Jewish community centre, has been reopened
Gerardo Pollicita, the official who inherited the high-profile case against Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner of following the death of prosecutor Alberto Nisman, on Friday resubmitted documents before a court.
“An investigation will be initiated with an eye toward substantiating ... the accusations and whether those responsible can be held criminally responsible,” said a document published by Mr Pollicita, according to Reuters.
In a 289-page report to a judge, Mr Nisman accused Ms Kirchner, Foreign Minister Hector Timerman and others in her administration of brokering the cover up in exchange for oil from Iran. Ms Kirchner has strongly denied the accusations, and Iran has repeatedly denied involvement in the bombing.
The Associated Press said Mr Pollicita’s decision to go forward with the case was significant because it sets the stage for a close examination of the investigation that Mr Nisman was building before he was found dead on January 18.
Mr Pollicita will present his finding to judge Daniel Rafecas, the federal magistrate assigned to the case who will ultimately decide whether to dismiss it or send it on to trial.
Prior to Mr Pollicita’s decision, amid rumours that it was coming, the administration was moving to both reject and minimise it.
Speaking to reporters early Friday, Presidential spokesman Anibal Fernandez said moving the case forward was a move to destabilise democracy“. He added: “It has no legal value. It does not matter.”
The body of Mr Nisman, 51, was found last month in his apartment with a single gunshot wound to his head. The following day he was due to give testimony to politicians about his accusation levelled at Ms Kirchner. It was initally claimed he had taken his own life but the government later clamed he had been killed by “rogue agents”.Reuse content