Prosecutors ask judge to dismiss Strauss-Kahn sex assault case
District attorney withdraws charges after accuser's credibility is called into question
Stephen Foley is a former Associate Business Editor of The Independent, based in New York. He left in August 2012. In a decade at the paper, he covered personal finance, the UK stock market and the pharmaceuticals industry, and had also been the Business section's share tipster. Between arriving with three suitcases in Manhattan in January 2006 and his departure, he witnessed and reported on a great economic boom turning spectacularly to bust. In March 2009, he was named Business and Finance Journalist of the Year at the British Press Awards.
Tuesday 23 August 2011
The only thing certain about what happened in Suite 2806 of Manhattan's Sofitel Hotel around noon on Saturday, 14 May, is that it won't be for a criminal jury to decide.
Prosecutors in New York last night formally asked a judge for permission to drop the sexual assault charges against Dominique Strauss-Kahn, in a decision that was as sensational in its own way as the arrest of the French political grandee three months ago.
For the aggressive district attorney's office in Manhattan, whose staff had paraded Mr Strauss-Kahn in handcuffs for the world's media, it was an acceptance that the testimony of his accuser, a hotel maid called Nafissatou Diallo, was not likely to be persuasive beyond a reasonable doubt.
For Mr Strauss-Kahn, it means the end of a three-month ordeal that has taken him through the notorious Rikers Island jail and through electronic tagging under house arrest in Manhattan. Today, he is likely to have his passport returned, and in France the question is how soon he will return – and in what capacity – to political influence within the Socialist party he sought to represent in next year's election. Ms Diallo was called last night to a meeting with prosecutors, a meeting her lawyers suspected would tell her what she had hoped never to hear, namely that the district attorney would no longer pursue her allegation that Mr Strauss-Kahn forced her to perform oral sex and attempted to rape her.
The maid had told police that Saturday lurid details of how Mr Strauss-Kahn had emerged naked from the bathroom of his $3,000-per-night suite while she had started to clean. In leaks and press briefings, it was said that her claims included being dragged across the hotel room. None of this was true, Mr Strauss-Kahn's lawyers furiously claimed, though his incarceration forced him to quit as head of the International Monetary Fund.
In court papers, prosecutors said they "no longer have confidence" that Mr Strauss-Kahn is guilty, since the maid gave them three different versions of the encounter. "The nature and number of the complainant's falsehoods leaves us unable to credit her version of events beyond a reasonable doubt, whatever the truth may be about the encounter between the complainant and the defendant," the papers said. "If we do not believe her beyond a reasonable doubt, we cannot ask a jury to do so." In recent weeks, evidence emerged that cast doubt on Ms Diallo's credibility. Prosecutors said they turned up inconsistencies in her application for asylum in the US, long before she ever encountered Mr Strauss-Kahn, and found evidence that made them suspicious about her account of the Sofitel incident, too. In a recorded conversation between Ms Diallo and a man detained in an Arizona jail, she said words to the effect that "this guy has a lot of money. I know what I am doing".
It was after that conversation was translated that prosecutors went to court last month to ask that Mr Strauss-Kahn be released from house arrest, and it started to look likely that he would eventually be freed from the charges. To say that he emerges without a stain on his character, however, would not be a reflection of the truth. In the days after his arrest, dragged from the first-class cabin of a flight bound for Paris, French media began examining allegations of his unwanted sexual advances towards other women.
Meanwhile, in the US, Ms Diallo has decided that defending her own character involves a public campaign for justice through the civil courts and through the media. She has launched her own lawsuit against Mr Strauss-Kahn that could still mean their two stories are compared in court. And she has appeared in television and magazine interviews, including one, on ABC TV, in which she tearfully went over the alleged attack. "I want him to know that there is some place you cannot use your money, you cannot use your power, when you do something like this," she said then.
Ms Diallo emerged last night from her meeting, with her lawyer, Kenneth Thompson. "Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance has denied the right of a woman to get justice in a rape case," he said. "He has not only turned his back on this innocent victim, but he has also turned his back on the forensic, medical and other physical evidence in this case."
Mr Strauss-Kahn is scheduled to go before a judge one final time this morning. His lawyers, William Taylor and Benjamin Brafman, said: "We have maintained from the beginning that our client is innocent. We also maintained that there were many reasons to believe that Mr Strauss-Kahn's accuser was not credible."
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Kennington bus crash: 32 injured after double decker hits tree in south London
Robin Thicke named sexist of the year 2013
PAs cleared of fraud - and Nigella Lawson left reeling at 'ridiculous sideshow' of drug allegations and public dissection of marriage to Charles Saatchi
Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
Apollo Theatre collapse: Scores injured after ceiling collapses in London's West End
Exclusive: Young people ‘want UK to stay in Europe’: Four in 10 adults aged 18 to 24 are ‘firmly in favour’ of membership, poll shows
Tom Daley ‘is gay because his father died’ says UK evangelist
Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
Kiss and yell: Italian protester charged with sexual assault after kissing riot police officer
PM denies two child limit for benefits is part of Tory welfare policy
Anachronistic and iniquitous, grammar schools are a blot on the British education system
- 1 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 2 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 4 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: This Big 4 giant is seeking ...
£35000 - £50000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: Do you have personal tax exp...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £30000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita ...