Protesters demand new inquiry into Mexican murders

Click to follow
The Independent US

Protestors from the United States and Canada have arrived in the Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez, demanding action in an alleged flawed investigation into the murders of hundreds of women.

Protestors from the United States and Canada have arrived in the Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez, demanding action in an alleged flawed investigation into the murders of hundreds of women.

Prosecutors say more than 340 women have been stabbed, strangled and bludgeoned to death in the city since 1993, but just two convictions have resulted from a criticised police investigation.

Five convoys of cars visited more than 50 US cities in a two-week trek to Ciudad Juarez. They were greeted by a 1,000-strong crowd on Sunday chanting "no more deaths" and "justice now". Tom Hansen, a protest organiser said: "Eleven years of these killings is enough. Almost all the cases remain unresolved and the few people who are in prison are probably innocent."

The killings have been attributed to domestic violence, drug cartels and serial killers. But despite the outcry, just an Egyptian chemist and a local bus driver have been convicted in an investigation marred by shoddy police work. Last week, a special prosecutor appointed by Mexican President Vicente Fox, said 100 police and criminal prosecutors faced misconduct charges.

Comments