Rebel ally freed after 15 years
Wednesday 21 December 2011
An American woman paroled after 15 years in a Peruvian jail for aiding left-wing guerrillas returned to the US yesterday.
Lori Berenson, 42, said she and her two-year-old son, Salvador Apari, will spend Christmas with relatives in New York before returning to Peru by 11 January as ordered by a court.
Her departure from Peru, under intense media scrutiny, follows days of confusion after local authorities stopped her from flying to the US last Friday.
She was paroled last year after serving three-quarters of a 20-year sentence imposed in 1996 over her involvement with the Tupac Amaru Revolutionary Movement.
sportBayern Munich 2 Manchester City 3: City come from two down to beat reigning European Champions
arts + ents... and a chance to paint Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£22000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Junior/Grad C# .NET Wi...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer (VB6,.NET, SQL, Winforms) Wokin...
£35999 - £44001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top Tier practi...
£41000 - £46000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Academically Exce...