Romney aide resigns over anti-gay attacks
A national security spokesman for the Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney resigned yesterday, saying critics had questioned his conservatism because he is gay.
Richard Grenell, who is openly gay, joined Mr Romney's campaign late last month.
"My ability to speak clearly and forcefully on the issues has been greatly diminished by the hyper-partisan discussion of personal issues that sometimes comes from a presidential campaign," Mr Grenell said in a statement.
A series of critics on the right had suggested Mr Grenell's sexuality would present problems for the Romney campaign. Mr Romney has struggled to court the religious wing of the Republican Party as he sought the nomination, having previously changed his position on social issues such as abortion.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...