Sandy Hook Elementary School evacuated over bomb scare

Survivors of the Sandy Hook massacre were among the children led out

Click to follow
The Independent US

A bomb threat saw students evacuated from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut on Wednesday –  including many children who survived the 2012 massacre.

A threat was made to the school over the phone at 9:30am local time, and pupils were asked to leave the building as a precaution, Monroe police Lieutenant Brian McCauley said.

Officers then checked the school building and grounds, and no evidence of danger was found, he added.

Nancy Bartosik, of the Monroe superintendent's office, said the school was dismissed early and students were moved to a nearby school to be collected by their parents.

Newtown Superintendent of Schools Dr. Joseph V. Erardi Jr. told parents in a recorded statement: "All students are safe, all staff are safe, everyone is absolutely fine." The scare is being investigated, he added.

A meeting where parents could ask questions and air concerns over the incident and the school's response was planned for 7pm local time, Erardi added, according to WFSB.

After a gunman killed 20 first grade student and six school staff members at the school in Newtown in December 2012, students resumed classes in a school in the neighbouring town of Monroe - also called Sandy Hook Elementary School.

The killer, Adam Lanza, also shot his mother in their Newtown home before going on the rampage and then committing suicide.

The original school building was torn down last year.

Wednesday's incident is not the first threat made to residents in Newtown.

In June, Wilfrido Cardenas Hoffman, of Venezuela, was arrested at a Miami airport and charged with making threatening phone calls to Newtown residents in the days after the massacre. His defense attorneys says he had received psychiatric care in his home country.

Comments