The home of the mentally troubled young man who went on the rampage at Sandy Hook elementary school and killed 26 children and adults, has been destroyed by local officials who wanted to remove the constant reminder of the tragedy.
All the fittings in the Newtown home occupied by Adam Lanza and his mother have already been destroyed to prevent them from becoming ghoulish memorabilia.
Officials in the Connecticut town voted earlier this year to tear down the home of Mr Lanza, who killed 20 children and six adults before taking his own life in December 2012. Earlier in the day he had shot his mother before driving to the school before setting out on his killing spree. He then took his own life.
Many people in the small town said the 3,100-square-foot house, which stood on a two-acre plot, was a constant, looming reminder of the events of that day and their enduring, devastating impact on the community. Now, the plot in a leafy suburban area, will be left as an open space, the Associated Press said.
Among those who had asked for the building to be destroyed was Dave Ackart. He said in a letter: “Not only is the property a constant reminder of the evil that resided there — those of us who walk, run, drive, ride or otherwise must pass it multiple times a day, are having a hard time moving on.”
The yellow house with green shutters on Yogananda Street was torn down on Monday, the AP said. Councillor Pat Llodra said on Tuesday the demolition of the foundation and driveway would be completed within another day and plans call for the land to be levelled this spring and new plantings started.
The Lanza family moved from southern New Hampshire and bought the new house in 1998.
The property was given to the town in December by a bank that acquired it from the Lanza family. Since the shooting more than two years ago, the house has been empty.Reuse content