Soldier in Afghan rampage faces 17 murder charges
Friday 23 March 2012
The American soldier accused of massacring Afghan villagers is to be charged with 17 counts of murder, it emerged last night.
Staff Sgt Robert Bales also faces six counts of attempted murder and six counts of aggravated assault, as well as dereliction of duty, an official said on condition of anonymity because charges had not been announced.
Bales, a 38-year-old father of two from Lake Tapps, Washington state, is accused of going on a shooting rampage in two villages in Afghanistan on 11 March, gunning down nine children and eight adults and burning some bodies.
The charges are to be read to Bales on Friday. He is being held in a prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas and faces trial under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. He was on his fourth tour of duty.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...