Street-legal aeroplane unveiled at New York Auto Show
A small aviation company has created the first car licensed to fly as well as drive.
The Transition, made by Massachusetts-based Terrafugia, features two seats, four wheels and retractable wings, and was unveiled at the New York International Auto Show over the weekend.
It is the first vehicle to meet the standards of both America’s Federal Aviation Administration and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
With a full tank of Premium 91-octane fuel, the Transition should have a range of 644 miles. It is, however, currently restricted to US domestic flights only.
The Transition is expected to be made commercially available in 2013 at a price tag of around £176,000.
There are currently 100 pre-orders for the Transition, which equals a waiting list of two-to-three years at Terrafugia’s small production facility.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...