'That's already happened': Google's Eric Schmidt says Youtube has already overtaken traditional TV
The video-hosting website recently claimed 1 billion unique visitors a month
Google boss Eric Schmidt has declared that the company's video-hosting website Youtube has already displaced TV watching as a medium.
"That's already happened," he said at a media event, when asked if the site could overtake its more traditional competitor.
The executive chairman said: "(Youtube is) not a replacement for something that we know.
"It's a new thing that we have to think about, to program, to curate and build new platforms."
And Schmidt added that the really big viewing figures are still to come - despite YouTube recently claiming an audience of 1 billion unique visitors per month.
"Wait until you get to six or seven billion," he said.
And Robert Kyncl, YouTube's global head of content, said: "I thought that YouTube was like TV, but it isn't. I was wrong. TV is one-way. YouTube talks back."
"TV means reach. YouTube means engagement."
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...