The house where Ma Barker died – on sale for $1m, bullet holes included
The scene of the FBI's gunfight with the mother of the notorious 1930s gang remains as it was in 1935
The lakefront Florida retreat where FBI agents gunned down gangland legend Ma Barker in 1935 is up for sale – bullet holes and all.
The two-storey frame house in rural Ocklawaha, 62 miles north-west of Orlando, is the site of one of the most celebrated raids in FBI history and the suggested starting price on bids for the property is $1m (£635,000).
There have been attempts to patch up and plaster over the bullet holes but Mark Arnold, an agent with Stirling Sotheby's International Realty, almost makes them sound like part of the attraction of the place.
"It's like walking into a time capsule in 1935. The fact that it has this extra history is a really interesting cachet," Mr Arnold said.
He was referring to how Kate "Ma" Barker, who was branded Public Enemy No 1 by the federal government for a rash of murders, kidnappings and robberies committed in the early 1930s, was killed in the house along with one of her sons in a fusillade from federal agents.
He said potential buyers have expressed interest in a variety of uses for the property including a bed-and-breakfast hotel.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...