Third try at Cuba-US crossing for 62-year-old swimmer
American endurance swimmer Diana Nyad has been stung by jellyfish several times as she seeks to become the first person to swim unaided from Cuba to Florida without a wetsuit or a shark cage.
A member of her support staff posted on Twitter that the 62-year-old was steadily swimming onwards yesterday despite stings to her lips, feet and legs. Her goal is to become the first person to complete the 103-mile crossing of the Florida Strait unaided.
"There are so many jellyfish," one of the tweets said. "Diana is swimming backstroke right now leading with the cap-covered part of her head to minimise contact."
While sharks were among Ms Nyad's concerns, along with potentially treacherous currents and any surprise weather changes, jellyfish that tend to surface at night were a worry, her team said.
Ms Nyad, who is less than a week shy of her 63rd birthday, jumped into the warm waters near Havana on Saturday in her third bid to make the crossing.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, George Osborne told
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...