Major Republican donors demand money back after Donald Trump tape scandal

'I'm really embarrassed. I shook hands with him last week and now I want to wash my hand'

Click to follow
The Independent US

Major Republican donors thought to have handed over tens of thousands of dollars to Donald Trump’s presidential campaign have reportedly demanded their money back, in the wake of the controversy over the Republican nominee's comments about women.

At least two donors and a man who co-ordinated donations worth $1 million for Mr Trump - otherwise known as a ‘bundler’- have expressed their discontent after a video of the Republican candidate describing unsolicited sexual advances against women was leaked.

One donor described Mr Trump’s comments as “very childish and embarrassing” and said he was “mortified” by the candidate’s behaviour, in an email to the Republican’s campaign manager seen by NBC News.

“How am I supposed to respect and support Mr Trump with his attitude towards women? I cannot support a sexist man. I have three young children and will not support a crude, sexist man. I expect a refund of my donation.”

In a separate email, another donor wrote: “I cannot express my disappointment enough regarding the recent events surrounding Mr Trump.

“I feel this campaign will assure a victory for Mrs Clinton with disastrous consequences for the party and our country’s future.

 


“I regret coming to the Trump support event and in particular allowing my son to be part of it. I respectfully request that my money be refunded.” 

Meanwhile, the anonymous bundler - who had raised money for the campaign across four states -  said he was “disappointed” and “embarrassed, and had withdrawn his support for Mr Trump.

“I give up. I’m totally walking out and disappointed, and the last 72 hours I have lost sleep over it,” the fundraiser told the network.

“I’m embarrassed. I’m really embarrassed. I shook hands with him last week and now I want to wash my hand.

“We have to make America great, but he’s using the wrong slogan. It should be ‘You’re destroying America.”

The bundler said he would now focus on raising funds for Republicans hoping to the elected into the Senate and House of Representatives.

More than a quarter of the Republican Party’s top ranks – members of the US Congress and state governors – are now declining to support Donald Trump since the scandal, a survey by USA Today found.

Meanwhile, on Wednesday night the Republican nominee was hit with fresh accusations of sexual assault and harassment from at least five women.

In August, the Washington Post reported Mr Trump’s campaign had so far raised approximately $166 million in donations, compared with the $413 million raised by opponent Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

Comments