US frees 1,900 after reform to 'unfair' anti-crack laws
Thousands of drug-crime inmates could be freed early under new laws that will retroactively cut sentencing disparities between those convicted of possessing or distributing crack cocaine and those found instead with the drug in powdered form.
About 1,900 prisoners are eligible to walk free immediately. The reforms address sentencing guidelines set in 1980s when crack cocaine use and related gang violence were rife in the US. The sentences for those convicted on crack charges were the same as those with 100 times more in powdered cocaine.
Pressure to correct that bias had been mounting for years, partly because it was seen as racially discriminatory as crack cocaine use was particularly commonplace in black communities.
Even with the changes, there is still an 18-to-1 disparity in sentences for crack and powder cocaine offences, prompting some critics to say the changes are too timid.
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£96000 - £200000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Looking for a better earning p...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly expanding company in ...