US schoolgirl burned after her iPhone set on fire in her pocket
Officials believe that the fire was caused by a short-circuited battery
A 13-year-old schoolgirl in the US state of Maine was released from hospital on Friday after she was treated for burns caused by her iPhone setting alight in her trouser pocket.
When the Year 8 girl sat down during her first class of the day at Middle School of the Kennebunks (MSK), she heard a pop in her back pocket where she was keeping her smartphone, Bangor Daily News reported.
Smoke then began to rise out of her trousers and the girl’s friends asked the boys in the classroom to step outside so she could remove her trousers, while teachers got her a blanket. She was later praised by the school’s Principal for remembering to immediately “strop, drop, and roll”.
When the iPhone fell out of her pocket during this process it was “visibly burnt” according to MSK's Principal Jeff Rodman.
Emergency services quickly arrived, and she was taken to Southern Maine Health Care Centre. She was released later that day after she received treatment for what paramedics called “moderate” burns.
The Principal emailed parents to notify them of the incident on Friday morning, and said that the student was helped immediately by both her classmates and the school staff.
The fire marshal in Kennebunk, in York County, is investigating the incident.
Emergency Medical Services Division Chief for Kennebunk, Andrew Palmeri, told the newspaper it appears as though the phone’s battery “shorted out.”
“People should obviously use caution when placing their phones in their back pockets so as not to crush them and cause an electrical short,” he said.
According to the crew, the student’s quick thinking, as well as that of those around her, prevented any worse burns or injury.
Apple is yet to respond to a request for a comment.
See this history of the iPhone in photos below
- 2 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 3 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 4 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
Amanda Knox murder conviction: Italian court overturns verdict for US student and Raffaele Sollecito in the killing of Meredith Kercher
Saudi Arabia says it won't rule out building nuclear weapons
The battle for the Middle East's future begins in Yemen as Saudi Arabia jumps into the abyss
#FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted to 'do something people would remember him for'
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped commission: SThree: Does earning a 6 figu...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A challenging opportunity for a...