Venezuela: Chavez mulls US cancer 'plot'
President Hugo Chavez has asked if the US government might somehow be responsible for the rash of cancer cases among Latin American leaders.
The Venezuelan President has long questioned whether the US could be plotting to oust him, but his latest remarks went far beyond such theories. He referred to the cancer diagnosis of the Argentinian President, Cristina Fernandez, and noted that he and the leaders of Brazil and Paraguay have also struggled with the illness recently.
Mr Chavez stressed he was not accusing the US and didn't have any proof. But he asked: "Would it be strange if they had developed a technology to induce cancer and no one knew it?"
Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
British man confesses to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
World news in pictures
'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
Revealed: Eerie new images show forgotten French apartment that was abandoned at the outbreak of World War II and left untouched for 70 years
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...