Woman' faked rape to induce husband to move'
A California state prison psychologist has been charged with faking her own rape in an unsuccessful attempt to persuade her husband to move to a safer neighbourhood, according to local police.
Laurie Ann Martinez conspired with a friend to create the appearance that she had been beaten, robbed and raped in her home in April. Investigators say she split her own lip with a pin, scraped her knuckles with sandpaper and had her friend punch her in the face with boxing gloves they bought for that purpose.
Martinez, her friend, and two co-workers eventually told police that the whole thing was an elaborate setup to convince Martinez's husband, David, that they needed to move. It didn't work. If convicted of conspiracy she could face up to three years in jail.
"If all you wanted to do is move, there are other ways than staging a burglary and rape," said Sacramento police sergeant Andrew Pettit. "She went to great lengths to make this appear real."
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Salary Package - £60K to £120K: Austen Lloyd: We have an exciting op...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer - Urgent Requirem...
£70000 - £95000 per annum + Bonus, flexible working hours, remote work: Progre...
£50000 - £56000 per annum + Benefits package, flexible working hours: Progress...