Yours for £106m: three-bed detached (don't worry, the garden's enormous)
Thursday 28 July 2011
Size isn't everything, it seems, not even when it comes to property porn. This barn conversion has just three bedrooms yet is being marketed as the most expensive home in the world.
But it does have a few extras, as might be expected for a house with a price tag of $175m (£105m). Not least, 1,750 acres of grounds in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains in the United States.
The three-bedroom home is the owner's residence of the Jackson Land and Cattle Ranch in Wyoming. Along with meadows and hills, it comes with a four-bedroom guest building, separate accommodation for staff and an equestrian centre. The price makes each acre worth about $100,000.
It has been put on the market by Richard Fields, who made his money from casinos and is the chief executive of Coastal Developments, which finances resorts, entertainment venues and gaming businesses. He has decided that he no longer has enough spare time to enjoy the ranch properly and has decided to sell up.
Mr Fields has experience selling a three-bedroom property for an eye-watering sum. In June 2008 he bought a three-bedroom apartment for $13.5m in one of New York's most sought-after buildings. Six months later, he off-loaded it for $27m.
For anyone with a spare £106m to invest, the Wyoming property comes complete with permission to divide the land into 35 separate plots on which more houses can be built and sold. Among the selling points is that the ranch is close to Jackson Hole, one of the premier skiing resorts in the US.
It was put on the market just a day after the nearby Walton Ranch went up for sale for $100m – or $54,000 an acre.
Jonathan Pierce, the agent appointed to sell the Jackson Land and Cattle Ranch, described it as "the absolute finest property in the absolute finest resort community in the country". He added: "You can fish and ride and hunt and you're still only three minutes from downtown Jackson Hole. You can't match the physical beauty and splendour of our valley. And you have the most unique property for sale."
Recent sale suggest the owner may have to accept a lower offer. Only a few days ago Formula 1's Bernie Ecclestone splashed out a reported $85m to buy his daughter, Petra, Spelling Mano, a 123-room Los Angeles mansion with at least 27 bathrooms, space for 100 cars, a bowling alley and a beauty salon. It had gone on the market for $150m.
* Beverly House, also known as Hearst House, is the most expensive in the world, according to Forbes magazine. Built in 1926, the former Beverly Hills home of William Randolph Hearst was later used in The Godfather. It is worth $165m (£100m), with a living area of 75,000sq ft. It has 29 bedrooms,40 bathrooms, three swimming pools and a cinema.
* Updown Court in Surrey is the most expensive dwelling in the UK, at £75m. It sits within 58 sprawling acres of landscaped grounds, formal gardens and woodland, has 103 rooms, five swimming pools, a bowling alley and a cinema. It is currently owned by Leslie Allen-Vercoe, 67, who renovated it and listed it for sale recently.
- 1 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 2 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
Spiritual leader allegedly manipulated 400 men into removing testicles to be 'closer to God'
The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
'This is what Islam tells us to do': A rare glimpse inside a Saudi Arabian prison – where Isis terrorists are showered with perks and privileges
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
this is an unpaid voluntary position: Circles South East Youth Service: LOOKIN...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading privately owned sp...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is require...
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The largest supplier to the UK'...