Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.
The African National Congress said yesterday that this week's campaign of 'mass action' would be renewed nationwide after the funeral on Monday of the assassinated leader, Chris Hani, and would continue, through May if necessary, until a date had been set for democratic elections, John Carlin reports from Johannesburg. The announcement came as ANC regional leaders all over South Africa prepared to hold protest marches this weekend. President F W de Klerk said his government would not give in to blackmail, though it remained committed to democracy negotiations.