17 killed in India Hindu pilgrim truck crash
Thursday 31 May 2012
A speeding truck carrying pilgrims crashed head-on into a bus in northern India today, killing 17 people, police said.
The Hindu pilgrims were returning home after bathing in the Ganges River when the crash occurred, said spokesman Surendra Srivastava. At least 20 others were injured.
Police say the crash was probably caused by reckless driving, and that the drivers of both vehicles involved were speeding when the collision took place in Uttar Pradesh state.
Road accidents are common in India. Reckless driving, bad roads and poorly maintained vehicles are often blamed for the accidents.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...