27 killed after bus veers off mountain highway in Nepal
Tuesday 11 September 2012
A bus has veered off a mountain highway and crashed into a river in western Nepal, killing at least 27 people and injuring another 11.
Police official Lal Bahadur Pandey said the accident took place before dawn today near Parkha village, about 250 miles north-west of the capital Kathmandu.
The area is a remote mountainous region where the roads are narrow and have hairpin turns.
The cause of the crash - in which the bus rolled about 1,000ft before it landed in a river - was not immediately known.
Not many vehicles travel along the highways in the area, and Mr Pandey said the accident was not noticed until a passing vehicle spotted it after sunrise.
Rescuers have been sent to the area.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Adobe F...