39 Hindu pilgrims killed in bus crash in Nepal
Monday 16 July 2012
An overcrowded bus carrying Hindu pilgrims skidded off a slippery highway in the south of the country yesterday, killing at least 39 people.
Officials said the bus was so packed that some people were riding on the roof.
The driver lost control on the rain-slicked road, and the bus plunged into a flooded irrigation canal. Rescuers recovered 39 bodies.
Most of those on board were believed to be Indian nationals from neighbouring Uttar Pradesh state who were visiting Nepal on an annual pilgrimage to Hindu temples. The driver is believed to have survived the crash but may have fled.
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
- 4 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
John Barrowman praised for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony gay kiss
£600 - £650 per day: Orgtel: Conduct Risk Liaison Manager - Banking - London -...
Highly Attractive Package: Austen Lloyd: CITY - COMMERCIAL LITIGATION - GLOBAL...
£65000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: The client is a...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A well-established software house ba...