Afghanistan landslide: Families told to expect no more survivors to emerge from the mud
One of the country's biggest natural disasters kills up to 2,700, as rescuers turn focus to the thousands of people displaced
Sunday 04 May 2014
Relatives of up to 2,700 people missing in one of the biggest natural disasters in Afghanistan's history were warned yesterday to expect no more survivors to emerge from a landslide, with officials declaring that the site will become a mass grave.
Rescuers spent the day digging in a desperate attempt to find survivors or bodies of relatives buried metres under the mud. Many used shovels or even their hands as conditions in the remote Badakhshan province, in the north-east of the country, made the movement of large machinery difficult. A fear of further landslides also hindered rescue attempts.
Days of torrential rain in the region caused a section of a mountain to collapse on to the homes in Abi Barak on Friday morning. As rescuers rushed to help those affected, they were killed by a second mudslide. Up to 300 homes were said to have been buried. The mountainous terrain of the region has made it prone to such disasters.
Estimates of the number of dead vary, reflecting the difficulty in getting reliable information from such a remote location The figures ranged from 255, given out by Mohammad Karim Khalili, one of Afghanistan's vice presidents, through to 2,700 from the International Organisation for Migration, which cited information they had gathered from provincial figures and community leaders. Naweed Forotan, a spokesman for the Badakhshan provincial governor, said that more than 2,100 people had died from 300 families.
"That will be their cemetery," said Mr Khalili, who visited the scene yesterday, a sentiment that was echoed by other officials.
Men look on as the excavation goes on The provincial governor, Shah Waliullah Adeeb, said: "We cannot continue the search and rescue operation any more, as the houses are under metres of mud. We will offer prayers for the victims and make the area a mass grave."
One woman in the village, Begam Nesar, said that 13 of her family members were under the mud. They included her mother, father, brothers, sisters and children. She said she had been visiting relatives at a nearby village when the disaster struck.
Ari Gaitanis, a spokesman for the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, said that attention was now turning to more than 4,000 people from 700 families displaced by the disaster, who have lost their homes or have been told to leave their villages due to the risk of further landslides. Emergency tents have been set up, with some families already having spent Friday night without shelter.
"Groups are trying to get supplies to these 4,000-plus people, keeping in mind that this region is pretty mountainous. Access is possible, but it is not the type of access that means we can bring in heavy lorries and other machinery," Mr Gaitanis said.
The United Nations Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs was helping to co-ordinate the delivery of supplies, from food and water through to medical supplies and emergency shelter. British charities are also mobilising teams to the area. The health charity Merlin, part of Save the Children, has sent five ambulances to the area, while other charities, including Oxfam, are expected to start providing relief.
Afghan children cry after being rescued - an estimated 300 families were affected Justine Greening, Secretary of State for International Development, expressed her "deepest sympathies to those affected by the tragic landslide" and said the UK was ready to assist. "The UK is closely monitoring the situation and stands ready to provide further assistance as needed. Our recent £10m support to the UN's Common Humanitarian Fund will ensure additional relief supplies can be delivered as required," she said.
International troops are also standing ready to lend a hand. Lee Litzenberger, Nato's senior civilian representative, said: "The priority now is to save as many lives as possible. This is the second natural disaster in a week in Afghanistan to cause substantial loss of life and destruction of Afghan homes and villages [following recent flooding]. Nato has always stood by its Afghan partners, and we will do so now as they respond to this tragedy."
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: Exeter - An excellent opportunity for a Solici...
£17000 - £20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Helpdesk Support Technician - 12 ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: Maintenance...
£30000 - £38000 per annum + pesion + holidays: The Jenrick Group: World Wide S...