Anger at anti-gay Health Minister
Wednesday 06 July 2011
India's Health Minister has derided homosexuality as an unnatural "disease" from the West, drawing outrage from activists who said the comments set back the campaign for gay rights and India's fight against HIV.
"Unfortunately this disease has come to our country too ... where a man has sex with another man, which is completely unnatural and should not happen, but does," Ghulam Nabi Azad said at a conference on HIV/Aids in Delhi.
Mr Azad insisted yesterday that he had been misquoted, though video of Monday's speech has aired repeatedly on Indian television.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Trenton Oldfield deportation: Boat Race protester allowed to stay in UK over fears his Indian wife would face racism in Australia
Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity' claims
Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
attractive: Citifocus: and complete all required maintenance, to monitor and c...
£55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Technical Operations Analyst (SQL, UNIX, L...
£11 - £13 per hour: Pro-Recruitment Group: ***Temporary Purchase Ledger Clerk ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...