Collapsed Bangladesh factory 'miracle' among longest survivals
Sunday 12 May 2013
The death-toll in the Rana Plaza factory disaster yesterday rose to 1,081, but Bangladesh was still absorbing the miraculous survival of Reshma Begum, pulled from the wreckage after 17 days.
John Holland, co-founder of RAPID-International, an emergency rescue organisation, described her survival as "well outside the norm", as demonstrated by our table, right, of how long victims have survived after a disaster.
He added that it is possible there are still survivors in the Rana Plaza basement.
1. 2010 Copiapó mining accident (Chile); 69 days
2. 2013 Bangladesh factory collapse; 17 days
3. 2010 Haiti earthquake; 15 days
4. 2011 Van earthquake (Turkey); 15 days
5. 2006 Beaconsfield mine collapse (Australia); 14 days
6. 1963 "The Miracle of Lengede" (Germany); 14 days
7. 2010 Haiti earthquake; 12 days
8. 2010 Haiti earthquake; 11 days
9. 1999 Taipei earthquake (Taiwan); 8 days
10. 1990 Luzon earthquake (Philippines); 8 days
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for a...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity to join...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We have an excellent role for a...