Collapsed Bangladesh factory 'miracle' among longest survivals
Sunday 12 May 2013
The death-toll in the Rana Plaza factory disaster yesterday rose to 1,081, but Bangladesh was still absorbing the miraculous survival of Reshma Begum, pulled from the wreckage after 17 days.
John Holland, co-founder of RAPID-International, an emergency rescue organisation, described her survival as "well outside the norm", as demonstrated by our table, right, of how long victims have survived after a disaster.
He added that it is possible there are still survivors in the Rana Plaza basement.
1. 2010 Copiapó mining accident (Chile); 69 days
2. 2013 Bangladesh factory collapse; 17 days
3. 2010 Haiti earthquake; 15 days
4. 2011 Van earthquake (Turkey); 15 days
5. 2006 Beaconsfield mine collapse (Australia); 14 days
6. 1963 "The Miracle of Lengede" (Germany); 14 days
7. 2010 Haiti earthquake; 12 days
8. 2010 Haiti earthquake; 11 days
9. 1999 Taipei earthquake (Taiwan); 8 days
10. 1990 Luzon earthquake (Philippines); 8 days
- 1 Bill Clinton portrait features Monica Lewinsky reference, artist admits
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men
Bill Clinton portrait features Monica Lewinsky reference, artist admits
Japanese island overrun with cats after population explodes
China's 'Inconvenient Truth': video exposing country’s smog crisis watched 100 million times
Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Have you got a proven track rec...
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£38000 - £48000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This B2B content marketing agen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: An outstanding new...