Crew of Chinese boat held as meat from protected animal the pangolin is found on board
Monday 15 April 2013
A Chinese vessel that ran into a protected coral reef in the south-western Philippines held evidence of even more environmental destruction inside: more than 10,000kg of meat from a protected species, the pangolin or scaly anteater.
The steel-hulled vessel hit an atoll on 8 April at the Tubbataha National Marine Park, a Unesco-designated World Heritage Site on Palawan island.
A coast guard spokesman said that some 400 boxes, each containing 25 to 30kg of frozen pangolins, were discovered on the boat on Saturday. The vessels’s 12 Chinese crewmen are being detained on charges of poaching and attempted bribery.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£30 - £32 per hour + free parking: PCR Recruitment Limited: World's Leading Cl...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: PCR Recruitment Limited: Server Side Dev...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Key Stage 2 Primary Te...
£60000 - £70000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...