Disaster alert as typhoon heads for Shanghai
Saturday 06 August 2011
China warned residents and alerted emergency relief centres yesterday to prepare for a powerful typhoon forecast to hit the country's heavily populated eastern coast.
Typhoon Muifa is forecast to hit late today or early tomorrow close to Shanghai, a commercial hub with a population of 23 million. Fishing vessels were called back to ports in Zhejiang and Fujian provinces, while officials in charge of disaster relief centres in the region were told to get ready to distribute their supplies, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.
Shanghai's airports expect major flight delays and numerous activities were called off.
Typhoon Muifa dusted the northern edges of Taiwan with light rain and moderate winds yesterday.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...
£22000 - £38000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...